22 April 2017

My Long Haul Survival Kit!

So over a period of six months, I'd been on four trips that have needed long haul flights.
That's eight times cooped up on a flying tin can with recycled air and horrible food (I'm sorry, BA, but it's not great.) for ten to twelve hours at a time. It's grim, but I'm learning how to make it as good as it possibly can be.

long haul survival kit

I'm not going to tell you what and how to pack when it comes to your checked luggage, but I am going to tell you what I have in my carry-on to make the hell of a long haul flight a little sweeter.

The first time I went on a trip I made this awful mistake of not having my bag in order, which made for awkward transitions from the airport through security and then onto the plane. My biggest tip would be to GET THAT BAG ORGANISED - personally, I use one of the large and one of the small wash bags from the Vendula London Skyline Range inside the matching Skyline Tote to keep the small bits and pieces organised. Everything I need is easily reachable and throwing it back into the carry-on is so simple.

long haul survival kit

The main thing that I have in the Large Wash Bag is my liquids bag - most airports require you to have a clear bag for all liquids which must be under 100ml. Since I have hold baggage with everything I need for my stay in whatever country I'm in, the only things I carry in here are an absolute necessity on the flight. A sandwich bag suffices to store them in, but they do have them to take at security for free - take a few.

This includes;
  • Toothpaste
  • Eye mist
  • Moisturiser
  • Deodorant
  • Lip Balm
  • Face Mist 
  • Hand Sanitiser
  • Face Wipes (travel pack or zip lock a few from a larger pack)
  • Lighter (most countries allow one lighter in hand luggage if you are also a dirty smoker like myself)
The rest of my wash bag is filled with other essentials I couldn't live without;
  • Tea bags - Airplane tea is gross, plus a sleepy-time tea before trying to nap will help.
  • Pen - This is an absolute essential. No one has pens and it means your landing pass is sorted before you hit immigration. Black or blue only! 
  • Mints
  • Toothbrush
  • Earplugs
  • Travel sickness and herbs sleeping tablets if you need either
  • Tissues
  • Surgical mask - this will save you from the recycled air tearing your sinuses apart, I promise you. 
long haul survival kit

The Small Wash Bag is the 'Tech Bag'. Again, security like searching these things separately to the rest of your items, so having them in one place means you can dump them in the tray and throw them back in and it's still organised - speed is key! 
  • Headphones
  • Camera - with battery taken out and separate 
  • Phone charger
  • Apple Watch charger
  • Portable charger
  • Charger cable for camera/portable
  • Plug adapter
Although I don't live in constant fear of losing my luggage, having everything I need to keep my tech charged is important to me as someone who is married to their phone.
The thing I love the most about this bag is the internal pockets - I always take my Apple Watch off for flights, and it keeps me calm knowing I can zip it into a waterproof bag once it's turned off and not worry about it for my trip, which is worth that alone.

long haul survival kit

Now. The important things are sorted, but you're still going to need a few things to survive that flight.

No one wears their coat on a flight. The idea is ridiculous, so get yourself a zip-through hoodie. The hood gives you some privacy when you make the mistake of watching Toy Story 3 and need to have a cry, it has pockets if you're using your phone for music and the all-important lip balm, plus you can control your body temperature with a zip.

As a jeans-hater, I generally travel in a band t-shirt and skirt, and although it's comfortable for the most part, nothing beats the comfort of pajamas. Yes, my friends, around two hours in, after drinks/snacks and dinner - I'm right in those pajamas! 
I pack lightweight ones as someone who's legs get warm, and I always have a pair of fluffy socks in my bag to keep things snuggly. A scarf will help you too, either balled up as a pillow, a makeshift blanket or y'know, a scarf.

One thing that seems to amaze a lot of people is that there are no rules to say you can't take an empty bottle onto the plane with you, so grab one (mine is in the shape of Baymax from Big Hero 6 because I'm a perpetual child!) and fill up before and while you're on the plane - much easier than either waiting for water to be served, or having to ask an attendant all the time.

long haul survival kit

Then the most important - a damn travel pillow.
I bought a cheap bean-filled pillow first off, which did the job, but would never actually support my neck. So I caved and bought myself a memory-foam monstrosity that is the bee's knees - I'd definitely recommend!

Then it's time to plug in, cuddle up and try and make the best out of a bad situation!

So now you know what is in my flight bag - what's in yours? Do you have anything that you absolutely couldn't live without? Let me know, and happy travels!







No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blogging tips